Now that the season of overeating all those tasty, but typically not-so-healthy treats is over, it’s time to re-energize our body with tasty and healthy treats….a yummy, energy and nutrient dense smoothie.
How to create a truly delicious smoothie:
1. Throwing a bit of this and some of that into a blender may make a smoothie, but taste is really important, so make sure that to every cup of greens you’re going to use, add 1 ½ cups of fruit.
Greens to choose from: Spinach, Kale, Collards, Romaine (use 1 cup (tightly packed) greens for each serving)
Liquids to choose from: Water, Milk, Almond Milk, Rice Milk, Coconut Milk (use 1 cup of liquid for each serving)
Fruits to choose from: Berries, Mangos, Bananas, Peaches, Pears, Apples, Avocados, Grapes, Pineapple (use 1 ½ cups of fruit for each serving)
Additions (optional, and to taste): Spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg), Protein Powder, Nut Butter
2. The order in which you blend things will determine whether you end up with something lumpy-bumpy or smooth and yummy. Follow these steps and you’ll be a smoothie-master in no time:
- Step 1: Blend Greens with Liquid until smooth
- Step 2: Add Fruit & optional Additions, and blend again til smooth
Note: Some of the Fruit or Greens can be frozen to make a chilled smoothie. (No need to defrost them…just toss into your blender straight from the freezer following the Steps above)
Also, using frozen fruit instead of ice will enhance the thickness and pleasant mouth-feel of the finished smoothie, not to mention better taste.
3. Instead of using sweeteners, try using sweet fruits, such as bananas, dates (pitted), figs or mango to kick up the sweet factor in your smoothie.
4. If you’re really pressed for time in the mornings, make your smoothies the night before and store, with a well-fitting cover, in the fridge. In the morning, pour your smoothie into your travel mug, and you’re on your way!
Island Smoothie Recipe (one of my fave’s!):
- 1 cup fresh Spinach leaves
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- ½ cup Mango chunks
- ½ cup Pineapple chunks
- 1 banana
- pinch of cinnamon
Blend following the Steps above.
Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe? Post in the comments, and Thanks for reading.